? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Sunday, August 16, 2009

I've Got Skills

Cooking skills that is. Generally my diet consists of beans and cheese-in all forms. What I mean by that is most nights for dinner I will have just beans and cheese, beans and cheese in a salad or beans and cheese in a tortilla. So naturally, when I decided to cook something (warming up beans in the micro and grating cheese isn't real cooking), it had to be closely related to my normal diet. I don't tend to stray from things I know I like. And I know all I did was follow a recipe, but it turned out really good. So I think I definitely have some cookin' skills!

Here's the story:

One of my college roommates was coming to visit. I had not seen her in about a year, which is very sad, but beside the point. I wanted to make a good, inexpensive dinner so she would be impressed (because she remembers my bean and cheese diet from college). The night before she came to visit, I dusted off the Betty Crocker Healthy New Choices cook book (sorry Mom, but you know I don't cook) and started looking for something sort of healthy/bean related. And this is what I found...

Name of Dish: Spicy Mexican Skillet Chicken
4 servings
15 min cook time

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 to 2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) black beans-drained
1 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chunky salsa
cilantro
1 red jalapeno chili
1/2 avocado (my "secret ingredient")

Cooking Directions:
1. Season the chicken with chili powder, salt and pepper
2. Cook chicken in vegetable oil in a skillet (8-10 minutes)
3. Stir in beans, corn and salsa
4. Heat to boiling, then cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes
5. Add cilantro, sliced red jalapeno chili and avocado to the top and serve
6. Enjoy and talk about how you should be on Iron Chef America- when the "secret ingredient" is beans

Calories: 290 per serving
Total cost for dinner: $18

2 comments:

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Wish I was there to enjoy this yummy looking meal! Feel free to cook for me anytime you would like! =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin